Keep a positive attitude

I have had a series of conversations in the past few days and people are feel quite glum about the prospects for New Brunswick these days. There is also some frustruction in there as well.

Look, I serve up quite a bit of criticism on this blog. I want people to understand the true picture of things and not the government press releases, Pollyannish stuff that we read in certain newspapers.

My reason for that is not to make people glum or angry or frustrated. My reason is to spur people to action. In some small way, I want to use this blog as a rallying cry for positive economic development change in this province.

So, if the outcome of my blog and the myriad of other sources is to lead people into a collective depression about the economy (mentally), then I have failed. If the outcome of the blog and the myriad of other sources is to prompt government, community and industry stakeholders to a bold new economic development focus, then it has suceeded.

I have no illusions about this. I was/am just trying to add one more voice to this collective, public square conversation. But in my soul, I am inherently an optimistic person (ask me when I turn 50). I think New Brunswick can see the kind of systemic change I talk about here but it will take serious action.

So colleagues cheer up. Redouble your efforts. See the prize and all those cliches.

0 Responses to Keep a positive attitude

Well I think you been doing a good job.Considering you are too young to see that there will be no movement.
    NOTE: We are canada’s ONLY constitued bilingual province.
    Too bad.
    Without a joining with the U.S.,what you see is the best you will ever see.

Quote of proof of trouble,just wrong fix.
    As Canada’s only officially bilingual province, we should be promoting our fully bilingual health system, and not duality in the deliverance of services. Duality of services, especially in the health sector is fiscally unsustainable in a small province of 750,000 people. This is going to become critical within the next decade with an increasingly aging population and a shrinking workforce. To try to have a duality of medical professionals when it is difficult to locate one is going to put significant strain on health and provincial resources.

Sincerely,

DR. MICHAEL BARRY

Chair

Saint John Board of Trade

The fact is,the health system has always been a political tool.Plus
    Studies being paid for that were done years ago somewhere else,probably 75% of people using health system for no reason.
    In fact canada’s whole system is based on a simple “who you know”, for years.

David, your goal is the same as mine when I point at the “urban vs rural” issues in NB. As I said before, I love that province and I can only wish it gets back on its feet so I can consider moving back there. Or that at least there is a change of attitude so that people like me feel that it is worth it to move back and help push the truck.

And I couldn’t agree more with Mr. Barry. I am convinced (and I have said this several times) that bilingualism is a luxury that NB cannot afford.

You suggested that NB needs to take a leading position when talking to the federal government and other jurisdictions. I am saying that in doing so we need to remember the first principle of negotiation theory: check your assumptions.

Clarification: By “bilingualism” I meant “bilingualism in the current format”.

The Conference Board of Canada has just released its 2008 Report Card on Canada.

I think that it is worthwhile to check it out and remember what I said both about setting the right benchmarks and checking our assumptions.

Below is an excerpt from the front page. My questions: (1) how do we think NB scores in these areas? and (2) what are the myths that NBers have created?

MYTH: Canada’s standard of living is one of the highest in the world.
    REALITY: While Canada enjoys a standard of living that is the envy of many countries, our ranking dropped from 4th spot in 1990 to 9th now.

MYTH: Canada has a highly educated population.
    REALITY: Over 7 million adult Canadians—or 4 in 10—do not have the literacy skills to cope with the demands of everyday life and work in modern society.

MYTH: Canada is a world leader in science and technology.
    REALITY: The BlackBerry is the exception, not the rule. Canada has scored a “D” in innovation since the 1980s and has failed to produce any top global brands.

For those interested, the link to CBoC’s Report Card on Canada is:

The CBoC failing grade for innovation (again) is very disturbing. The poor performance is the root cause of many other problems such as dismal productivity.

This is despite a national innovation strategy that has seen billions invested in academic research.

It is time for a transformation economic strategy that moves at the speed of business with business focused innovation. as its core.

We have gotten lazy pumping stuff out of the ground, cutting stuff down and fishing our oceans dry.