Follow up to previous post

You know I am not much of a spin doctor but I just came up with a great new slogan for the Liberals as part of their strategy to attract people back to New Brunswick.

For every 500 people that move to New Brunswick, we commit to hire 3,830 new health care workers.

What do you think? Of course, they will have to borrow that from the Tories because it was actually their population growth to health care worker added ratio from 2001 to 2006 but I think they could get away with it.

This one is pretty good too.

Having trouble finding a family doctor in Ontario? No problem. We commit to hire 320 new doctors for 500 people added to the population of New Brunswick.

That would resonate, folks. That would resonate. Should I quit my day job and become a spin doctor?

0 Responses to Follow up to previous post

1. Rob says:

I think a timeline would hit closer to home:

“When you move to New Brunswick, we guarantee you will find a family doctor within the month”

Or something to that effect.

Reminds me of a family member,who finally was able to get out of the system saying, “I wouldn’t mind nursing and looking after patients,if half of them really had something wrong with them”.
    In fact I have heard it from different people.
    But ,some of us now realize,the medical system, the charity system and etc,are just part of the make work projects,governments need.
    Imagine fixing the system and having half the people involved laid off!
    Or even better ,removal of government workers not needed!

Easy to see that its a major problem, best left alone to fix itself, which may be in progress.

3. Vincerolly says:

Let’s not be so rash as to suggest that the “medical system” is simply a “make work project”. That health care is not being effectively or efficiently managed is undeniable, but people do need health care. It is the supply that is disfunctional, not the demand for it.

“It is the supply that is disfunctional, not the demand for it.”

So your saying,people lining up with colds,flu,cuts bruises,sprained ankles,and an endless number of things that a doctor can do nothing more than the person himself,or the Alcoholic in to get cleaned up,the druggy for who knows what, are not a dysfunctional demand?
    I claim that 80% of hospital,dental,drug and pet care are unnecessary.

Anonymous 6:19, don’t worry about that swelling, that nagging dry cough or the headaches. You could be costing us plenty in hospital time because you ignored symptoms for which you could have received much less expensive treatment.

Or, your premature death will soon terminate that cost spiral. Thanks for saving us money.

Well,I’m glad there are other Idiots out there.

I will diagnose your dry cough,

1-Allergy-what can we do about it-nothing,move.

2-Common cold-what can we do bout it-nothing.

3-COPD or lung cancer,-what can we do bout it -nothing.

Feel better?

Now your turn to tell me what you can do about my dry cough,because I have one.
    But I don’t waste tax dollars and Doctors time on what I know is a 4000 year old common cold that no one can do anything about YET.

People can make all kinds of claims but that doesn’t constitute proof. Here’s at least from the CIHI:

• 57% of patient visits were for less-urgent or non-urgent conditions.
    • More than 80% of patients were discharged to their home or their place of residence; only 11% needed to be admitted for further treatment in hospital.
    • Only .5% of visits were by patients considered to be severely ill, requiring life-saving interventions.
    • According to statistics from Ontario, hospitals in rural health regions have a higher proportion of non-urgent cases seeking treatment in ERs than hospitals in urban health regions.

That doesn’t mean they are ‘unnecessary’, and ER visits only account for a minute percentage of health care system costs-not even close to drug costs (which a lot of those discharges are).

As for the dentist, like doctors and hospitals, most people I know practically need a gun pointed at their heads before they will go willingly to see any of them. Dental costs are high, and insurance is pretty specific about coverage.

The supply is sometimes ‘dysfunctional’, but more often than not it is simply ‘unavailable’, especially specialists.

And actually, a dry cough can be a symptom of literally thousands of diseases, many of which ‘something can be done’. Unfortunately, with an underfunded health care system the first priorities go (not surprisingly) to chronic patients, and with an aging population, there are lots of those.

But take a quick example, eye exams are extremely important-many cancers show up first in the eye and its an easy way to do early diagnostics. Eye strain due to worsening sight (needing a change in prescription) is a cause of headaches, nausea, and many problems people think may be due to something else (putting more strain on health care). We can add dental problems in there as well.

Yet outside the prairies virtually no province covers eye exams anymore, leading to paying more down the line for the people who can’t afford them. It’s interesting to note that up to the nineties, there were almost no people in the soviet union with glasses. It was in the soviet union that laser surgery was developed and WAS free to the population. Here it costs an arm and a leg, and much of it is useless. I know people who had the cheaper laser surgery and five years later needed glasses again. I know this is unrelated to the main post, but its interestingly nonetheless.