Voting day

Today’s the day to get out and vote. I just spent the last two days getting grilled by my father about the 99 reasons I need to vote for Stephen Harper. I have to balance my father’s partisanship against my ongoing series “What is a Tory” found on this blog. Quite frankly, I am not sure my dad knows what a Tory is these days but he sure likes old Stevie.

I don’t think I have heard anyone with the exception of Rob Moir in Saint John really talking seriously about economic development issues but then again, I haven’t done a detailed analysis of all of the parties platforms.

The Tories are serving up $400 million for auto and aero in Ontario and Quebec and that tells me mostly what I need to know about them. I have been reading editorials from BC and they are quite livid about the ongoing attempts to buy votes on Ont and Que. Maybe that is why many ridings in BC are now leaning NDP. It’s fine balance for a federal politician. If they are too aggressive in their courtship of votes in one area, they may alientate another.

The Liberal’s Green Shift is tricky biz in New Brunswick. I actually would like to see Canada make a serious move towards carbon emission reduction but I would like to see it offset with massive investments in economic development in the same activity. I know there are billions for sustainable technology development, biofuels, etc. but I am talking about federal programs that could be applicable to New Brunswick.

If we went green and at the same time became a North American hub for alternative energy product development, I’d be happy. But if all we do is make rural New Brunswickers pay more to heat their houses and drive their autos, that’s a bit of a bum rap. But at the same time, my father remembers a daily train from the Miramichi to Fredericton that left at 7 am and came back at 5 pm each day. Maybe we should look at reviving rail service if we are planning to double or triple the cost burden for driving cars.

Whatever happens today, don’t expect a game changer election for New Brunswick. I see virtually no correlation between the Premier’s open letter to the federal leaders and their platforms. No federal party will be moving federal jobs here. That’s a non starter – mostly because it would anger not only Ontario and Quebec but the rest of Canada as well. Claudette Bradshaw worked for years to get a federal translation centre in New Brunswick to no avail. In a minority parliament, no one has excess political capital to expend.

0 Responses to Voting day

1. Rob says:

Hit up the Commonwealth Club on iTunes to hear a politician with real vision.

Arnold talks a real good game about environmentalism, and backs it up w/ economic development. He was able to lure Tesla Motors back from New Mexico, and ensured that those cars would be made in his state.

He’s also pushing high-speed rail for his state. Coming from Europe, I’m sure he recognizes the dilapidated state of North American passenger rail. At last check, it still takes about 5 days and $2500 to take the train from Halifax to Vancouver.

Politicians never lead, they are followers. Arnold is a perfect example of that- a guy who helped deregulate energy and drove a hummer down the street is now known as ‘mr. green’. That’s because its CALIFORNIA, the home of the greenest greens west of Vermont.

The same goes for Canada. It’s no surprise that Harper is scrambling to sound like an environmentalist, even though I’m sure he knows it sounds like a joke.

But the only thing that is guaranteed in ANY case is forget federal investment in NB. Over at a couple of other blogs there is some poster who keeps saying “Harper wants Nbers working”, which is pretty funny really. He DOES want them working…in Alberta.

But until Mr. Campbell and some like minded people really start making noise, there will be no politicians that stand up for them-there is simply no political benefit to it. I dislike all politicians so the only reason I see to vote AGAINST Harper is the simple reason to limit any one politicians power. I think I saw here before Mr. Campbell talking about a ‘philosopher king’, but I think we can agree that AINT Stephen Harper.

But old folks do like him because he’s definitely a ‘status quo’ kind of guy, and geezers don’t like ‘new fangled idears':)

Maybe we could get back into the auto manufacturing business and resuscitate the Bricklin?

4. Rob says:

re: Arnold

I believe his Hummer is on bio-diesel now. He also owns one of the Tesla roadsters, and talks on the podcast how it can beat a Porsche from zero to sixty. He may be following the initial green pioneers, but he’s definitely leading the greater pack.

I’ll also talk about “geezers not liking new fangled idears”. My 85 year old grandmother searches and books cruises online. My other grandmother makes preserves and eats local produce almost all year round – something so behind the curve that she’s now ahead of it.

yeah, but politicians ALWAYS ‘talk’ a good game. Heck, if you spend any time at the federal or provincial government websites you’d think that everything in Canada is absolutely fantastic. Arnold simply doesn’t have a choice-well, except he could have moved to Texas where he wouldn’t have to tow the green line.

As for the ‘geezers’, that was more of a joke, although booking stuff online is hardly ‘new fangled’. That’s sort of like people using the phones once they got hold of them. But there’s a big disconnect between cultural habits and political voting. You can have older people who grow their own food-that doesn’t mean they vote for the Green Party. And not every union member votes NDP. Harper definitely has a demographic-and many people (not just seniors) are afraid of change-particularly at the government level where it can be assumed that the change is not going to be for the better.

Like David reminds us, if you have a big policy where it means you may get shafted even more while doing a good thing, then its a lot harder to get on board.

As for the ‘locally grown’ comment, that’s interesting because that was one of the blog posts over at the 21 inc., website, where they mention that buying just X percent more food locally adds millions more into the local economy. Even at their blog though they assume that in order to deal with globalization you have to build a concrete wall around your town, however, you can see that the ‘downside’ of globalization is very much on the minds of the next generation.

As more and more of those ‘grandmas’ connect with the younger generation who know the economic benefits of trading locally, eventually that cultural habit will get the attention of politicians (or create new ones). That’s, of course, why trade has quickly been relegated to the level of the WTO so that local democracy can always be over ridden by trade agreements.What a lot of people aren’t aware of is just how active their government is in destroying those ‘local economies’ in the developing world.

6. nbt says:

It’s funny, because Harper did the same during the debate when he was accused by the other parties of being conservative. Except, unlike your dad, he gave them 99 reasons why he was not.

7. Dan F says:

Reminds me of one of Dickens:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Taliban Jack for NAU President 2009!