Milk that for all its worth, you jerk

How’s that for a title?

Moncton is the most polite city in Canada according to new Readers Digest research. Ottawa is the least polite.

In a world of increasing acrimony and rancour – blogs, talk shows, politics, etc. – I think niceness – if that’s a word – is starting to accrue considerable value. Being a nice city just might help make some economic development inroads.

0 Responses to Milk that for all its worth, you jerk

1. atlanticaparty says:

Hello Mr. Campbell,

Sorry this is a little off topic but there is no email on the site.

My name is Jonathan Dean. I am the leader and one of the founders of the Atlantica Party; a new provincial party in Atlantic Canada. We are currently building our party Executive and were wondering if you know anyone (including yourself) who might be interested. Experience appreciated but not necessary, the only requirement is a desire for substantive change in Atlantic Canada. Our ultimate goal is to form the Provincial governments in one or more of the Atlantic Provinces. We are not a status-quo party nor are we interested in putting forth yet another ‘mainstream’ party.
    To see what we are about visit http://www.atlanticaparty.ca
    Any advice or questions would also be welcomed.
    You can reach me at info@atlanticaparty.ca

Cheers,

J. Dean

I am following the Atlantica Party and am interested in the theoretical concept. I personally have no political alliance because of the nature of my work – but I encourage all parties including yours to think long and hard about the chronic challenges to this region’s economic development and new solutions. Feel free to post your ideas and platform related to economic development here. This is a place where we put it all on the table. Good luck.

3. NB taxpayer says:

I don’t know what’s more hilarious, the fact that the Atlantica party is courting you (if they only knew), that you have no party affiliation because of work or that nice guys (in this case cities) finish first.

Are you sure this isn’t cheese & cheese friday???

Laugh it up fuzzball. I like the notion of a party focused on Atl. Canada and I like some of what I read on their web site. But I am glad to make your laugh of the day.

Lets be honest here, the Atlantica Party could not be any worse than what we are currently inflicted with. In fact, I admire Mr Deans approach. Shows a smattering of leadership. Next time I’m in NB I will look him up – I might even give him a donation.
    In a poll featured somewhere in Europe yesterday Ireland was voted the friendliest country.
    ‘Niceness’ has its advantages economically. Its a question of how to harness this. Irelands economy has depended on Tourism for many years before the Tiger hit. Maybe thats a way forward for starters. Im just thinking out loud so dont jump on me all at once.

Depends what you look like:)

I’ve been in Ireland many times and I can say that next to Indians and Chinese and Caribbeans they are the nicest people you’ll ever come across, and that makes a difference. The last time there the bus driver stopped the bus and every person came forward to look at our map to give us directions.

We asked a man for the name of a good restaurant and he came running down the street later that afternoon when he saw us to ask if we enjoyed our meal.

Canadians are friendly, but not THAT friendly-even in Moncton. But it definitely is not a BAD thing. NBT is so high strung that its always a good thing to give him a laugh.

As for Atlantica, I’ve got to update my website with the next Dean interview that I still haven’t posted. That’s another interesting little tidbit if consultants also won’t get involved in politics because of their work, I’m not so surprised that there are so few candidates in the province.

But to the above, Mr. Dean is in Nova Scotia, not New Brunswick. So far as I know there has been no New Brunswickers stepping forward-not surprising what with all the consultants not wanting to get involved in politics and all.

What’s with all the swipes? Now I’m trash because I don’t sign my membership card? Cripes. A guy’s gotta make a living.