Drivers of economic growth

Those of you mulling over the university thing, you may want to take a look at this. A top site selection firm looked at the economic drivers for growth cities in the United States. Having a major university was the second most important driver in the ‘fast’ and ‘medium’ sized cities.

Hence, the concern in Saint John.

Of course, the most important driver in fast growing cities is….

…wait for it….

Being a retirement community.

Forget universities, set up bingo halls.

All jokes aside, financial services and manufacturing are also major drivers of economic growth.

Hint, hint.

0 Responses to Drivers of economic growth

A prosthetic limb or false hip business might work too (along with the bingo).
    I see in your graph that resort community ranks very well. We should try and get one or two of them babies into NB. Oh wait, someone already tried that one didnt they?
    It would probably never work anyway.

2. sc says:

I noticed the chart reveals that resort communities are just as important to the economy as manufacturing [is]. Now I see why you were so unhappy that the negotiations for the Goshen deal collapsed, regardless of the scurrilous opposition to the project.

The US is much different than Canada. I seem to recall that Mirimachi was billing itself as a Retirement COmmunity. I don’t think its setting any growth records though.

Of the 8 elements to your chart we only have one (major military base) in NB unless you would rate UNB as a major university.
    This is a good base to work on as a beginning to economic development. We need to address the manufacturing output and work on the border community thing because we dont really utilise that properly. There is quite a long border between us and Maine after all.
    The resort comunity is a shoo-in (NF, NS etc) and should be encouraged. This government should be going cap in hand to the developers and apologising for being idiotic.
    I dont know how we could attract financial service industry here unless Frank McKenna can use some of his infamy to pull that in instead of more call centres.
    Also a retirement community would be a good idea too unless you categorize the whole of southern NB as a retirement community or maybe just the Centennial Building in Fredericton.

There is a huge opportunity for entrepreneurs to provide services for seniors in NB. My husband and I went to the Portage Restaurant in Miramichi for supper tonight. As usual, almost everyone in there had gray hair. I retired 3 years ago, and my husband and I are constantly looking for new things to do.

We are at the leading edge of the baby boomers. Lots and lots of folks are near retirement. We need entertainment (no bingo for me). If we can’t get this in NB, then we have to travel outside.

otenay otay elfsay. Ixnay hetay ingobay ommentscay.

I know how you feel, David!