Jeannot’s influence is wide ranging

Ocassionally, I read some journalist from outside New Brunswick quoting Jeannot Volpe. Typically this is rare as the national media will know the Premier but very few others. This was evidenced by a story in the Globe & Mail referencing ‘Ms. Volpe’ when talking about our former Finance Minister.

But, even when they get the gender wrong or don’t even state the name specifically, sometimes you just know who they are talking about.

Take this morning’s story in the Halifax Herald.

The writer is quoting Donald Savoie saying that Nova Scotia needs its own style ‘self-sufficiency’ plan. The journalist states:

Some critics in that province have called the goal so ambitious as to be “laughable,” but Mr. Savoie said a province may as well set the bar high.

The only one in the media that I have heard calling the ‘self-sufficiency’ plan “laughable” has been Jeannot Volpe. Admittedly I don’t read everything but I cover as broadly as most people and our friend Jeannot is the ‘critic’ mentioned in this story.

So, now the laughability of New Brunswick actually becoming economically self-sufficiency is a joke even to non New Brunswickers.

It’s not funny.

0 Responses to Jeannot’s influence is wide ranging

To be fair, do we know the context of the quote. Meaning, was Volpe saying self sufficiency was laughable or was he saying the ‘liberal idea’ of self sufficiency is laughable. Given that the liberals never did actually define self sufficiency it’s pretty easy to see what he was laughing at. The liberals had similar things to say about the ‘prosperity plan’ which didn’t exactly define WHOSE prosperity they were talking about.

If I recall, Lord himself became VERY prosperous from being Premier, and at the very least, tax cuts and breaks had people ‘more’ prosperous.

So far the liberals seem to have enacted policies that would give the OPPOSITE effect of self sufficiency, so its easy to see why somebody would guffah.

2. Kit says:

Well maybe Volpe should clarify his comments.

Because if he does believe that the idea of New Brunswick becoming self sufficient is laughable, then I would take that to mean he does not believe in us and I would find it exceptionally difficult to support him next election.
    Same goes for any politician that truly doubts the capability and ability of this province and its people.
    Lead us, follow, or get the heck out of the way!

Look, I said I would stop picking on old Jeannot. I am reasonably sure that he ‘believes’ in New Brunswick. I don’t know if we can use the word patriot in the New Brunswick context but I wouldn’t question his commitment to public service. I just happen to disagree with him on almost every issue.

4. Kit says:

That would be a good thing. I would like to believe that our politicians are well motivated and sincere. Having never met Mr. Volpe, I should not pre-judge. However, what I do see of him as interim leader of the Tory’s seems less than stellar, but that could be because thats the way he is represented in the media. I think the Tory’s need to clarify the comment and context. Is the idea of self sufficiency laughable or is the Liberal plan(?) laughable?

Interesting how any politician who realizes they never have a chance to form a government under their leadership takes liberty in consistently shooting down every action/policy/strategy of the governing party (al la Weir in NDP). Do they not realize that opposition does not mean blindly discounting every government initiative?

Part of NB’s governance challenge is the lack of good opposition that stimulates meaningful/constructive debate, proposes tweaks and alternatives that help to optimize our potential.

Guess that involves putting the Province ahead of the Party; a commitment few have been willing to make.

Just to address the above, again, that is the JOB of the opposition-to oppose. To speak for those who would oppose government policy-and there are always those who oppose EVERY government policy, though they may be different people each time.

How would it be if when the orimulsion ‘scandal’ broke out if the liberal opposition had just let it go ‘for the sake of the province’?

There’s a reason that an opposition was recognized for its importance, in fact it is usually just as important and the governing body, and we can add that most countries have recognized that and changed to proportional representation.

That’s very applicable to New Brunswick, and not just because Graham cancelled your planned referendum. Graham doesn’t even represent the views of most New Brunswickers (he didn’t at election time, I suspect after the budget even less so).

Most countries have recognized that not only are opposition important for calling government to task, but should be part of the decision making structure because thats what voters WANT. Which is why there are minority governments. Technically, even with only 5% of the vote going to the NDP it would still be a minority government-but under Lord. Then opposition doesn’t have to just scream and shout, because they are involved in policy making.

Well, Mikel, I have said it before but it’s a teeny weeny bit different when the ‘opposition’ was the ‘government for seven years. Every criticism is viewed through that prism. Volpe bragged at great length about the ‘fiscal’ strength of New Brunswick after his rule and never once mentioned the deepening dependence on Equalization, the declining population, the risk of the Feds moving transfer program funding to a ‘per capita’ standard, etc. So laughing about self-sufficiency is, in my opinion, extra galling because the province had the opportunity during the longest period of sustained economic growth to get it done – and it didn’t. Now, the country may be moving into a period of economic challenge which will be even more of a problem for New Brunswick. You may hay while the sun shines. Volpe sat on the tractor and drank a beer. The sun’s going down.

Longest period of sustained economic growth in Canada – I should have clarified myself.

Seems to me I remember a tech crash, investor uncertainty (Enron)and a company named Nortel mothballing during that particular time frame. Sustained economic growth? Sure wouldn’t want to see the unsustained kind.

Oops. I get to show off my economics training. Economic growth is defined as positive GDP growth. A recession is negative growth for successive quarters. Canada has had positive quarterly GDP growth since 1993. Every quarter. The U.S. had negative growth on a quarterly basis in the early 2000s. Canada didn’t. Hence, the longest period of sustained economic growth in Canadian history.