Armed soldiers in our streets – We couldn’t make this stuff up

I was listening to the Moncton candidates give speeches on Rogers last night and I was about to change the channel when Marie-Claude Blais started speaking. She was obviously nervous and as much as I don’t like young people running for politics I have to admire her courage. It’s not an easy thing to share the podium with the wily ol’ Mike Murphy or go door to door.

She had a lot to say – mainly repeating Bernard Lord’s name over and over again – but at one point she stopped and said in English something like this: “I have two kids and my kids aren’t the worst in Canada” – in a faltering voice.

I was stopped in my tracks. I had visions of the Tories putting armed soldiers in our streets – we can’t make this stuff up.

First, the Tories don’t want to even mention the challenges facing New Brunswick (not a word in their platform) but now if you do mention anything negative you are attacking our children.

How low will you go to win?

Shawn Graham, we are told, thinks our kids are the worst in Canada. He hates them. He insults them. He belittles them.

As I said before, while I think this line of attack may work somewhat, I think it represents a new low in New Brunswick politics.

I didn’t hear Rodney in Nova Scotia’s recent election say the Liberals were insulting Nova Scotians by raising relevant and timely issues for debate.

Come to think of it, the federal Liberals did everything they could to make Stephen Harper look ‘scary’ (a ridiculous strategy) but they never accused him of insutling and belittling Canadian children.

Political attacks happen in politics. People sling dirt around. But there must be some limit. There must be some no go areas.

Once again, Premier Lord has shown he is a master political tactician. He announced calmly before the election started that he thought it would get nasty. He wanted to prepare us for this reality.

He just never said it would be him and his Party that would be getting nasty.

0 Responses to Armed soldiers in our streets – We couldn’t make this stuff up

I don’t hear Graham or Lord attacking the third place Brewer and the NDP. In the case of NS, Rodney’s main competition was Darrell Dexter. They both had some heated exchanges.

2. Reg says:

Sorry, but if Graham wants to use standardized test results as a basis for his “worst in Canada” claim then her comment is completely fair game. Anyone with a passing knowledge of these tests know that they are designed to allow for a comparison of individuals in the same setting (teacher, cirriculum, etc) in order to determine the individual’s relation to the standard in that setting, nothing more. Administrators and legislators have hijacked the useful purpose of the tests and have made them illegitimate benchmarks for the quality of education in a given area. By their design, the results should never be aggregated to use in the comparison of educational systems (in fact, many argue the higher these aggregated test results are, it indicates the poor “quality” of an educational system is since there is a high probablity that the system is designed to teach the test more than anything else). By perpetuating this fallacy, Graham is in fact using students in an attempt to score political points. Until a reasonable metric is developed for cross-jurisdictional comparison of systems, using test results to claim our system is the worst is simply saying our kids are not as smart as kids the other provinces and we all know that’s not true.

I must admit that although far more of my ideologies coincide with conservative ones, the ‘americanization’ of politics seems to be invading through the ‘republicanization’ of the conservative party. There is really nasty vitriol coming out of the blue camps, its even increasing online here in New Brunswick. It’s unfortunate.

Busy web site.

Scott, you can have ‘heated exchanges’ and you can even deeply dislike your opponent. However, I can’t see any time when it is appropriate to question your opponent’s respect for the province and its people. Cripes, the guy makes a pretty significant sacrifice to get into politics and serve the public only to read in the papers by his opponent that he is insulting and belittling the people he is trying to serve. And Blais went further and insinuated the Graham thinks her kids are the ‘worst’ in Canada. This is over the top rhetoric. I know during the final days things get a little crazy but you of all people can appreciate how over the top – even ridiculous – lines of attack (like the soldiers in our streets attack) can backfire.

6. Downes says:

Hm. The reaction to comments on the quality of education and the resulting next generation of New Brunswickers indicates that the tories see this as a soft spot. Otherwise, it wouldn’t hurt when the Liberals mentioned it.

It wouldn’t be a soft spot had they spend some time on education and literacy during their seven years in office. Any reference to the poor prospects facing New Brunswick’s young reminds us that this isn’t the case.

My impression is that politics, rather than learninbg, has always been the primary force guiding the Conservatives’ education policy. sad, but the results speak for themselves.