Tories serving up gravy

I thought they were scrapping this John Manley-brainchild-Ottawa-and-Montreal-development program?

Maybe not.

$189 million from Technology Partnerships Canada for CAE’s research and development project called Phoenix. A total of $630 million is expected to be invested in the Phoenix Project over six years. Another $31M from Quebec.

Government puts in $22o million so that (and I’m quoting here): “About 800 highly skilled jobs to remain in Montreal

Harper’s Tories are following their predecessors and serving up big bucks for economic development in Quebec and Ontario. First the auto investments and now $189 million for CAE in Montreal.

I’m not criticizing folks. Just reporting. Just waiting for $189 million investment in company x’s R&D project in Fredericton, or Cape Breton or Charlottetown.

And waiting, waiting just like that guy in Casablana.

0 Responses to Tories serving up gravy

Why NOT criticize? Absolutely, so much for conservatives ‘small government’. But I suppose they figured they are handing out 2 billion to western farmers, and are killing Kyoto so Alberta doesn’t have to worry. In NB, let’s see, a pittance toward harbour cleanup and money for a sports park in Moncton. Well finally, ticket collectors and T shirt vendors will have more opportunities!

I think it’s more like “Waiting for Godot”

PS: great information here, got a link to ‘Phoenix’ and what companies are involved?

In there anybody lobbying on behalf of New Brunswick for these multi-billion dollar projects? And if so, what are the industries in which they are lobbying on behalf of?

You know what they say about people who don’t ask:

“Thou shall not receive.” Is that a saying? Oh well, it is now.

Sure, the maritimes have been on the short end of the stick for a hundred years because ‘nobody asked’ for anything. Just go to the various ‘enterprise NB’ sites and you’ll see dozens of examples. But I suppose we only like ‘multi billion dollar’ investments where there’s lots of places to hide money. How about even just a few millions, how about the animation sector Dave is always talking about, what about the video game industry, it’s not like there are NO industries around here…

Obviously you know nothing about lobbying the federal government after making a statement like that.

Anyway, I’ll let you stick to your petty regional, insular provincial government knows all arguements. And by the way, I’ll just let you know, it’s not my cup of tea anon. But to each his own.

I have no idea what any of that means. Some day if you have an actual point to make feel free to make it.

Filling out paperwork is hardly ‘lobbying’. The application for Partnerships Canada funding is available at their website.

Here’s a list of those who have started paying back, who wants to go through the fun job of finding out where they are all located?

/internet/intpc-ptc.nsf/vwapj
    /Report_on_Repayments_to_TPC
    _e.pdf/$file/Report_on_Repayments
    _to_TPC_e.pdf

GOOD NEWS

We’re well on our way to becoming mini american warmongers, check this out at the Technology Partnerships website:

New Project Outlines
    The TPC program will be closed to new outlines immediately, except for aerospace and defence (A&D) outlines, which will be accepted pending the outcome of the government’s decision on an A&D Strategic Framework.

Aerospace has long been a veiled military investment vehicle, so the tories are on their way to changing that dratted canadian emphasis on renewable energy into more practical purposes like military development!

Since your on the subject of American companies who manufacture military equipment and people who lobby for them:

Here’s a guy I got to know really well while in Ottawa, mainly at D’Arcy McGees, a drinking establishment for elite movers and shakers. His name is Rod Scotty and I’m sure he did more than just fill out the paper work.

Sorry anon, I don’t reveal details to hacks who live on the outside.

That’s helpful how? Or are you just chest thumping. OK, “Wow, Scott, YOU know a warmonger, and you used to DRINK with him?? Gosh, can I get his autograph? Was he cool? What’s his favourite colour? Oh, look at me, I feel like a little girl all over! I’m just gushing! You’re soooooo lucky!”

Clearly McKenna was way out to lunch, what we SHOULD be doing is declaring war on Nova Scotia and annexing PEI! First we’ll take Antigonish, then we’ll take Presque Isle!

On a more constructive note, I’ve been going through all those companies at Technology Partnerships Canada, and haven’t come across a single New Brunswick company, in fact there are few maritime ones.

To give “Scott” some credit, does anybody even know of a New Brunswick company that COULD have applied? Or they that dumb that they never heard of TPC? It’s moot now, of course, however, it does take us back to private sector financing-like disease research. If you don’t have the industry in existence, you can’t very well get any benefits, so again, a medical school seems to be a way to solve several different problems. If Sudbury can find the wherewithal to build a medical school, one would think an entire province could.

Here’s another ‘project’ that people can actually do. Has anybody even mapped out how many ‘potential’ researchers there are in New Brunswick? St.Thomas is pretty much out, Mount A might be a little more market minded, but I don’t know how much.

That leaves two universities. How big are their science departments? Are any of them even looking at patents? What are the Universities policies on patents? At U of Waterloo, one of the perks is again, that ‘royalty free’ aspect. It preys on the greed of the scientist, but hey, any edge is a good one.

We can forget about the Arts programs, and in fact the business programs are probably well over stocked with students, and I don’t think any profs at UNB were even IN business.

But science is where its at, and that is the REAL potential catastrophe. There is simply nowhere but Ontario and Quebec for new graduates to go.

Are the science profs here brain dead? Or do they just think its their job to ‘teach’? Are they just content with their salary and haven’t got enough greedy ambition?

I’ve never seen any of that research out there. There was a report on how much universities contribute, but it wasn’t online.

If nobody even knows the answers to those basic questions, then there’s a real problem. Of course ANYBODY can do science, and that’s something that should really be ingrained in people’s heads. I read online about a Wisconsin school that caught everyones attention by sending a video camera in a hot air balloon into the near atmosphere and beamed down the pictures.

This is more stuff that the media never talks about, their ‘uplifting’ stories are usually about elderly RVers and junk like that.