Lord highest paid Premier in Canada

The CBC is reporting that Bernard Lord is the highest paid Premier in Canada (salary and party money combined). At $183,902 per year, he makes 70% more than his pal on PEI.

I’m all for paying our politicians a decent salary – maybe we could attract better calibre talent if we paid more – but it is a bit weird to have poor old New Brunswick’s Premier making more than all the other Premiers.

If he wants to go Federal, he would need to be a Minister to avoid taking a pay cut as the annual salary of a Member of Parliament, as of 2005, is only $144,100.

Plus, I’m a big believer in the concept of value for taxpayer dollars, if you know what I mean.

0 Responses to Lord highest paid Premier in Canada

David,

I saw this earlier and mentioned it to a few friends when we were out last night.

The collective response seemed to be: How can he justify being paid 36k more than Dalton McGuinty?

Ontario is a province of 12,541,410 which represents 37.9% of the total Canadian population as compared with New Brunswick which has 758,000. Greater Ottawa, London, Toronto, Hamilton all have larger populations than all of NB combined.

There should be some sort of standard. Maybe how good the economy is doing? etc? Etc?

I mean he’s almost making 54k more than Ralphie boy for God sakes.

Do these guys have any fiscal restaint?

Actually, I think we’d get a far better calibre politician if we paid them LESS. Take a look at most of the bonehead moves by most big corporations now, the ones with multi million paycheques even when their companies are going bankrupt or involved in criminal activities!

You have to remember though, in Ontario and Alberta they simply have to WAIT for their bigger bucks. Do some favours and then once voters finally tire of you (or worse) then watch the Board Directorships and token appointments roll in. Hell, even Bob Rae has never had to hold onto a real job and he was done over a decade ago!:)

What the f#$k does that have to do with Ontario and Alberta or the Premier’s salary for that matter?

Have you ever heard of Frank McKenna and New Brunswick?

If not, here is a refresher:

-Canadian advisory board of the Carlyle Group
    -On the board of the Millenium scholarship fund
    -Board of the BMO Financial Group
    -Board of United Parcel Service Canada Ltd
    -Director of Noranda
    -Board of Zenon Environmental Inc
    -Board of Marsh Canada Ltd
    -Board of General Motors of Canada
    -Interim chairman of the board of CanWest Global Communications
    -On the board of the National Post
    -Canadian ambassador to Washington

So much for that arguement thou nameless one.

If you can’t be civil then take your asinitiy elsewhere, some of us are able to actually have discussions here.

Ontario and Alberta were mentioned because they were the examples mentioned in the first post. I’ll repeat my point slower since comprehension doesn’t seem to be a strong suit.

You see, politicians don’t necessarily NEED to get big bucks because they are paid back later. Therefore, the salary a politician is paid, isn’t necessarily reflective of what the position is worth. Just like you work for lower pay when you start out in a law firm or accounting firm, because the payback comes later.

But there is no ‘guarantee’ that those boards will come, therefore we can’t say ‘ipso facto’ that Lord will be getting huge compensation later (though we can make a good guess).

Perhaps trying to understand rather than just looking for reasons to shoot off is some good advice.

Who is us? Everybody except for David never identifies himself/herself in the comments section. For all I know you could be the same person.

From what I have found from commenting on many sites/blogs, the most callous remarks come from those who hide behind the title of “anonymous”.

They usually do this for 2 reasons:

1) They don’t feel condident about backing up their comments.

and…

2) They feel better if they’re hiding behind a vail of anonymity.

That’s why I only answer to David Campbell on this blog anonymous. He has the confidence to stand up for what he says…and he usually backs it up with facts.

Something you clearly haven’t done with your backtracking rebuttal.

Well, that ends that. We know how “Scott” feels about anonymous posters. Questions are: who asked and who cares? From the above posts we can see who is civil and who isn’t. This blog was always pretty civil until “Scott” showed up.

I’m sure that David would mirror my thoughts.

Here goes.

Listen anonymous, playing nice does not enter into my thought process, especially at this point in the game.

New Brunswick needs economic freedom fighters like David who tell it like it is. He is somebody that I would be proud to stand by at any point in time and I would do it at the ring of a phone.

As for people like you, I could careless what you think. If NB is ever to crawl out of the deep hole which was dug by people who play nice, then it starts by pissing a few people off. If you don’t believe me then read Colin Powell’s book on leadership…chapter one.

“Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.”

I’m sure Dave or Alec would say they don’t give a hoot what Lord’s office thinks of there ideas as well as their truth tell all screeds.

Nor do I.

Folks,

I take all comers to this blog – I actually appreciate some of the somewhat strong anonymous opinions – even if I don’t agree with them. But I also appreciate Scott who came back from ‘away’ and now is making his contribution to the discourse on these issues. As for anonymous posts, there is most likely a good reason why they are anonymous. I have been told that many of my comments are ‘career limiting’ in this market but I am lucky enough to have a job where that isn’t as much of a consideration. I’m not kidding about this. I have had people track me down at work to tell me to tone down the rhetoric.

So let’s keep the dialogue civil and realize that the underlying motives for the majority of these posts are mostly good.

And if you want to use foul language, the $#@! characters work very nicely.

WOW, they tell YOU to tone down the ‘rhetoric’. What must they tell the Irvings??

I don’t know who ‘Scott’ is, but here in New Brunswick you don’t say ANYTHING about the Irvings unless you stay anonymous-or you will never work again.

But clearly this blog has anything BUT rhetoric. The information is footnoted and comes from reliable sources. If ANYBODY is using rhetoric it’s the Irving press. But I suppose it’s like they say “It’s not rhetoric if we LIKE what you say”

Hopefully you will find a better reception with our next government:)

No problem David. I’ll try to put more facts and discipline behind my rants. In other words, I’ll be more civil.

Anonymous,

I don’t know where you are going with the Irvings, but all I can say about them is that they have contributed to the NB economy for many years and decades. Are you saying that the thousands of jobs they have supplied to many different New Brunswickers is bad?

Lets be honest, the strong Irving presence is not what makes New Brunswick weak. It is the lack of other large multi-nationals in NB that make the economy one of the weakest in Canada.

If only we could attrack Google, Goodyear, Oracle, H2FC companies like GE, Dupont or Quantum Tech, then maybe things would turn around.

Not only that, we haven’t even made the case to other countries for their IT and call centre investments. Why was Jacques Poitras, a journalist, the only one from NB to make the trip tp India? Where were our leaders on this? Out to lunch?

These are serious question which need serious answers. That is all.

I digress, not all India delegations are a resounding success.

Check out David Gregory who called into Imus in the Morning today from India while traveling with the President.

Well, many economists disagree, I’ll post them if you like. I don’t know if others have a degree in economics. But people are free to believe what they want, even if its wrong.

Irving is one of the most heavily subsidized companies in the country. They are one of the richest in the world, that money, up to about a decade ago, came primarily from New Brunswick. Its simple economics, when one guy has it, another guy doesn’t.

Just the other day we’ve also learned Irving overcharged NB Power. That’s MORE money coming out of New Brunswickers wallets going to Irving. In discussing the natural gas line it was learned that NB Power was expropriating land to be OWNED by Irving. In capitalism, land is bought for what its worth, not what the government will give you for it. No doubt we’ll have property rights soon enough in this country, as soon as corporations own most of the land.

Take a look at Waterloo Ontario where RIM park gets far less money than Irving. The owner Mr. Lazardis used his own private money to build and finance TWO private research organizations. The Perimeter Institute for Quantum Mechanics and THe Quantum Computing Institute. How often have we seen that from Irving? They built a couple of parks which the province now funds and hardly employ anybody for half the year.

And THEY are among the richest in the world! Anybody who has dealt with them knows what complete MISERS they are.

But enough Irving bashing, India is quite interesting as most of their resource industries are GOVERNMENT owned. The textile industry is, and forestry is heavily regulated. Ironically, to India, New Brunswick is the ‘third world country’ that they go to pillage. Now wonder its hard to get other investment, if your country was pillaging Ghana, would you be looking there to invest in new technologies? Only if you’re an idiot.

That’s what this blog is all about, figuring out how to get those ‘smart’ companies. My only point would be, you don’t get them by acting irretrievably stupid.

I don’t know, I almost prefer ‘irretrievably stupid’ to nothing at all. Somebody asked me the other day what if the government set aside 5% of its annual budget for economic development (they spend less than 1% now), what if they set up offices in key markets to attract investment, what if they build assets in Miramichi, Tracadie, Edmundston, etc. that would be attractive to investment, what if they focused R&D investments on attract world-class companies from outside our borders, what if they got aggressive about attracting immigrant investors, what if they built ‘mega-sites’ (like the US) and marketed them for large projects, what if they provided every community in the province with ‘investment readiness’ training (like many US states), what if they targeted outfront industries like wind/solar power, etc., – and spent 10 years with the most aggressive economic development in Canada – and it didn’t work?

At least they could say they tried.

Those are GREAT ideas. Tell me that you’re a member of the Liberal Party! I can add some other suggestions, trouble is, NONE are being done, or even discussed.

I don’t agree, doing nothing is FAR better than doing something stupid. If you are going to invest in a location, would you rather be reading about them doing stupid things or no things?

But again, it’s not ‘stupid’ for Lord to hand Irvings a gift of massive subsidy for his LNG terminal even they will get almost nothing out of it. Lord KNOWS that it will piss off far more people than it will impress (like the 8 long term jobs it will provide).

However, Irving owns all the papers. Imagine trying to run a campaign where nothing but your blunders get printed. But now we see, Lord plays nice, so all nice things get said about him. It’s very ‘smart’.

However, it doesn’t help New Brunswickers, that got national exposure with the National Post basically calling the province a backwater crooked frontier town run like a fiefdom. It takes A LOT of work to overcome negative press, and this isn’t the entertainment industry, sometimes NO press is good press. At least a CEO doesn’t have to explain to a board why the heck he’s thinking of setting up in a crooked province. In economic development you want THOSE meetings to go as smooth as possible.

To get those ideas out there you need three things. Politicians to enact the policy, groups to bring forward the policy, and a way of connecting the two. So far, we’ve got a little bit of the groups bringing the policies, but none of the others.