Moncton is not multi-cultural

Couple of points on the Times & Transcript ‘We Say’ segment about immigration:

1. I fully agree we need more immigration. No debate. Kudos to Enterprise Greater Moncton for leading on this file.

2. The T&T states “We should also be looking to refugee communities and among those who have little but are seeking a better life. These are the type of immigrants that built Canada and they are people who not only need what Moncton and Canada can offer, but who have every incentive to work tremendously hard to succeed. History shows a positive record and one often of innovation among such immigrants. “

What the T&T fails to state (as usual they leave out the meat of the thing) is that Canada was booming with opportunity when those refugees came. There were jobs here in mines, the forestry, fishing, farming, etc. Hard work doesn’t matter much when there are no jobs. That’s why I fully agree with EGM primarily targeting skilled immigrants and investor immigrants. If we flood the community with refugees and no jobs, we are setting ourselves up for economic and social problems. Now, if the province starts to see real economic growth (a la Arizona, Alberta, Nevada, etc.) then we will need a flood of worker level immigrants and we can dust off the T&T’s simplistic We Say. But until then, EGM keep your focus.

3. Al Hogan throws in the trite line at the end of the We Say- “Our city already has a solid multicultural base.” This comment is just plain silly. We have a ‘bi-cultural’ base – not a multicultural one.

According to the Census, 98% of Greater Monctonians are ‘White’ and only 98.8% of us have either English or French as our Mother Tongue.

0 Responses to Moncton is not multi-cultural

Quite true, but really, what immigrant with money is going to come to such a place? Alberta and Ontario are far better investments with large multi-cultural bases. We saw a report from Saint John where a group threw rocks and yelled epithets at a visible minority group. We don’t exactly excel at ‘blending’ visible minorities (natives) with the rest of the population.

In New Brunswick, most of the english I know hate the french because bilingualism has meant they can’t get a decent job. And of course when you have such a poverty afflicted province, then what investment opportunities are there? A Thai restaurant on King Street?

Ironically, while New Brunswick lags behind other provinces in setting up it’s own immigration service, it IS beginning to do so. However, our tax dollars are still going to an immigration department which benefits Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec.

There are some projects going ahead with their plans of attracting immigrants in francophone communities such as the one in Saint-Léonard, N.-B. This new federal-funded Carrefour d’immigration rurale is a three year pilot project that aims to attract immigrants to rural areas (with satellite offices in PEI and Manitoba). One family of five has already decided to set up shop in Saint-Léonard. For a rural community, that’s good news.

Good thing the anglophones you (anonymous) know from Saint John, (and from Fredericton and Moncton for that matter) aren’t around to ruin it for this community.

Not all ‘Anglos’ from Saint John ‘hate the french’ in the words of the Saint John Anonymous poster. The ‘french’ and I mean here Acadians have been a great influence in Moncton. And, yes, I have not been able to apply for certain jobs (less than 30% require bilingualism) because my French language skills are lacking, I count that as part of the price of progress. And if you take the time to visit, you will see a lot of Anglo professionals moving back to Moncton.

I guess St-John’s anglophones (not all but…) are not the type to see farther than their nose, when it comes to speculating a better society for New-Brunswick in bringing in more peoples (immigrants) into big agglomeration like Moncton and even St-John. If Moncton is booming today, It is mainly because of “the french” and why? because they didn’t limit themselves to one language only like most of us Anglos do.

If it’s good for them to be bilingual, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be for us too. I rather try learning and speak french in the only bilingual province in Canada then moving to Toronto or Vancouver and try to understand Punjabi or Mandarin. The tools are there and we don’t have any excuses not to use them. Without necessarily changing the colors on our flag poles…

I couldn’t put it in better words like you did Mr. Campbell “I count that as part of the price of progress.”

G’day!

Mitchell O’savy
    Black River

Nobody said that New Brunswickers were all rednecks, but these are stories that any immigrant is going to know about. The question wasn’t rhetorical or pessimistic, I was seriously hoping somebody could give me an actual answer.

We’ve got an answer from above, and sorry to be so pessimistic but I’d really have to agree with the blogger in that if you want immigrants, ones with money would be the most desirable.

St.Leonard has 1300 people with a 60% participation rate and a 11% unemployment rate. Of workers they look like this:

Agriculture/resource-based industries 30
    Manufacturing and construction industries 190
    Wholesale and retail trade 70
    Finance and real estate 10
    Health and education 80
    Business services 50
    Other services 210

From media sources I’ve seen that the program gets $1,000,000 and is in the hands of a Fransiscan Priest (we know what good businessmen they are). So far, the program has brought a family of 7 from Rwanda, the father of which is a forestry student.

Now, I’m not from any of the above mentioned cities, and I’m not from St.Leonard, but if I WERE from St. Leonard I’d really have to be severely pissed that one million dollars is coming to my town, not for economic development, or even welfare or EI, but to bring in and pay a family from africa, one of whom is getting his education paid by my tax dollars and who will then compete with my neighbours and other New Brunswickers for decent forestry jobs-of which there are few.

Now, you can say what you want but canadians aren’t stupid, and northern New Brunswickers are hurting, so you can have all the big ceremonies of welcome that you want, but to me it sounds like a recipe for trouble. You put a very visible minority into a small rural town and give them all the advantages which you deny the locals and that’s not a recipe for success.

I’d have to agree with the blogger in the last post, when you live in a backwater that’s not a time to try to look politically correct. Simply bringing home ex-New Brunswickers who have some cash would be far more desirable. With a population of about $1000, I’d have to say St.Leonard would be far better off (and I’m pretty darn sure they’d agree) with a $1000 dollar cheque. They could use it to update their homes, invest, etc., and get far more out of it than this program will give them.

Keep in mind that I’m not unsympathetic to immigrants, they are among the poorest in the country, and our government is among the most miserly in the world, but I really don’t see the benefit of this. I doubt investment is going to rush into St.Leonard because a few african families live there. I’d also be more sympathetic if the feds coughed up a million in economic development. In case people missed it they just ‘donated’ a grand total of $2000 to the Edmunston food bank. The group got more from the B’nai brith last year.

Mr. O’savy, you can add another ‘v’ to your last name. We need to be more supportive of bilingualism (Anglos) like many European countries.